Summerville Dorchester Museum
100 East Doty Avenue, PO Box 1873
Summerville, SC 29483 843-875-9666
Interested in learning more about us?
About Summerville Dorchester Museum
On, May 02, 1991, a group of concerned citizens organized by Robert Pratt, met for the first time to consider the formation of a history museum for the Summerville area. This group continued to grow and meet; and in April, 1992, they signed a lease with the Town of Summerville for the old Police Department building. Work began on the building almost immediately to renovate it for use as a museum. In December, 1992, the museum opened its doors to the public. Renovations and installation of exhibits continued, and in March, 1993, the Summerville Dorchester Museum held its grand opening.
History of 100 East Doty Avenue
The earliest record, a 1913 map of the Town of Summerville, shows Doty Avenue was originally named Railroad Avenue. The street ran parallel to the railroad connecting Charleston to Hamburg (now known as North Augusta, SC) with passenger and freight lines. Lawrence Hayden Doty, Mayor of Summerville 1953 to 1965, was a dedicated and influential public servant. After his death on February 28, 1965, the Town of Summerville changed the name of Railroad Avenue to Doty Avenue to honor him.
The land where the current museum sits was owned by the Eagle Creek Lumber Company. Between the years of 1923 and 1928, the Town of Summerville built a Water Department on the site. There was a 100 foot tall steel water tower and a 300,000-gallon water cistern adjacent to the building. The brick facade of the original one-story building can be seen in the museum lobby.
Over the years, the building was enlarged and became the Summerville Police Department in 1976. A holding cell, offices and courtroom for the Town Judge were on the second floor. Cells, a day room for police officers, a radio room and office were built downstairs. The Summerville Police Department moved to a new municipal complex on West Second North Street in June 1990.
Board and Staff Members:
Ken Battle, Chair
Ed West, Vice Chair and Historian
Susan Morris, Treasurer
Danny Hughes, Secretary
Mary Ann Bridgman, Board Member
Blanche Fowler, Board Member
Jerry Bishop, Board Member
Ella Bennett, Curator
Merle Hodges, Office Staff
Teresa Burditt Sims, Office Staff
Vivian Rose, Chair Advisory Committee
Linda Ensor, Volunteer Coordinator
100 East Doty Ave, Summerville, SC 29483 843-875-9666 firstname.lastname@example.org
Mailing Address: PO Box 1873, Summerville, SC 29484
Double click here to add text.